This project transforms an existing 300 sq ft 1910 cottage, located in a Toronto laneway, into a spacious, compact two story dwelling.
The lateral and gravity loads of the second story addition are supported on a steel frame, which pierces the old cottage, and is tied to new interior concrete footings. The addition is then framed conventionally in wood.
A folded plane wraps around the new interior forming the faceted roof which is shaped to provide a generous interior volume and to minimize shadow on neighboring properties.
A rooftop clerestory with a generous overhang gathers heat from the winter sun and shades the interior in summer.